How does tempo relate to specific music genres? Explore House!
You may sometimes want to make decisions about the tempo of your beat based on the genre or style of music you are trying to create.
- What are some relationships between tempo and genres of music?
- Why does tempo matter for different genres of music?
- How can tempo impact the way people react to a beat?
- Now, check out Yeuda Ben-Atar explaining the relationship between tempo and House music.
- Watch from 0:00 – 2:15
- If you are interested, he also discusses choosing sounds from 2:15 to the end of the video
- Try to create a house beat (Remember, we are focusing on getting started so whatever you do is OK!)
- Use the video’s suggestions for tempo
- Use the video’s suggestions for sound choice: Kick, Clap or Snare, Closed Hat, and Open Hat
- Then choose an additional percussion sound which can impact the type of house genre you’ll be creating
- (Remember, you have access to XPs about choosing sounds if you want to review)
- Adjust the tempo by trying different BPM to hear how the tempo impacts how the beat sounds and what genre it might fit into.
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to discuss ways the tempo impacts the sound of the beat and its relation to genre
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Discuss ways the tempo impacts the sound of the beat and its relation to genre
Return to the XP How do I choose a tempo when making a beat?