How do I choose a tempo when making a beat?
The speed of music (tempo) can greatly impact people’s perception of the music or how they feel when listening to it.
- How does the speed of the music (the tempo) affect the music?
- How does the tempo of music affect people?
- What would your favorite song sound like sped up or slowed down?
We suggest making up whatever you like, but if you need a starting point you can try this pattern:
Splice Sounds Beat Maker
- Now, try listening to your beat at different tempos. Try 60 BPM – 100 BPM
With Groove Pizza you can drag the BPM bar to different tempos:
With Splice Sounds Beatmaker you can type the exact tempo you want, click the small white up & down arrows, or use the drop down tempo menu.
Think About and Answer the Following Questions
- Think about and answer the following questions:
- What genre does the beat sound like at 60 BPM, at 90 BPM at 120 BPM?
- What other sounds would you add to make it sound more like that genre?
- How does the tempo impact the way you feel when listening to the beat?
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- Go back, find out what to submit, and complete the XP
- If you want, you can then learn even more with the optional “Go Further!” activities below
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Share a brief post that describes how tempo impacts the sound and feel of a beat.