XP 7: How can science fiction music help us envision futures?
Science Fiction (as well as fantasy, speculative, and visionary fiction) are ways to imagine worlds beyond this one, often based on elements of our current world but reconstructed for multiple possibilities.
- How do people use science fiction and music to imagine the future?
- How can songwriting and music making help us approach common topics from new angles?
- What role can music play in helping people envision futures?
Try Creating Your Own Musical Science Fiction To Envision Futures
- Brainstorm your answers to the following questions (consider collaborating with others):
- What alternate worlds and realities do you imagine?
- How would current issues, people, and places be different in that context?
- What would music sound like in that world?
- Write a short story based on your answers to the questions above
Try to make your story as vivid as possible. See if you can make it feel as if someone reading the story feels that they are in the alternate world experiencing it themselves.
- Choose one of the following ways to include music:
- Turn pieces of that short story into a verse and then sing or rap the verse
- Find existing music that could be a score to the story and bring it to life
- Create your own music that could be a score to the story and bring it to life
Optional: Work on the story and music and then set up a pop-up event where you can share the story and music with others
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- Go back, find out what to submit, and complete the XP
- If you want, you can then learn even more with the optional “Go Further!” activities below
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
Do one of the following:
- Upload a video clip of you rapping or singing the science fiction verse you created
- Upload a video clip of you reading a part of your story with the music you chose or created to be the score
- Include a copy of your short story along with explanations of the music that would be the score and links to any recordings of the music
Curious about learning more?
Go Further! (optional) Explore how others combine science fiction and music to help us envision futures
Return to the Connecting Music and Culture Music Learning Playlist