How can we use code to create music or sound?
Getting Started with Sonic Pi
- How can you use a coding platform to create music?
- What coding platforms are you aware of that allow you to make music?
- How do you think people might use code to create music?
You can create music and sound with code!
Throughout this playlist, we will mostly use two different coding platforms: Scratch and Sonic Pi.
Get Started with Sonic Pi:
Sonic Pi is a live coding music synthesizer that allows you to compose or perform music by writing out lines of code. Sonic Pi has even more creative options for making music with code.
- Download Sonic Pi (click here)
- Try out the first couple of tutorials under the “Help” section.
Check out this video for additional information on how to use Sonic Pi
Some questions to help you get started:
- Can you create a melody through code?
- Can you create a harmony through code?
- Can you create a beat through code?
- Can you create music or sound that . . .
- . . . is based off of a sample code in the Help section of Sonic Pi?
- . . . reminds you of an old video game?
- . . . is scary, funny, exciting, boring, silly, relaxing, or colorful?
- . . . reminds you of a special event, story, or place?
- . . . you would want to share with a friend or family member?
- . . . you would want to rap, sing, or play over?
- . . . you would want to dance to?
If you are using the LRNG platform, go back to the XP to show what you learned
If you are not using the LRNG platform return to: How can we use code to create music or sound?