How can we use code to create music or sound? Part 1
(Getting Started Coding Music with Scratch!)
- How can you use a coding platform to create music?
- What coding platforms are you aware of that allow you to make music?
- How do you think people might use code to create music?
You can create music and sound with code!
Throughout this playlist, we will mostly use two different coding platforms: Scratch and Sonic Pi.
Get Started with Scratch:
Scratch is a programming platform that uses digital blocks to create media arts projects, games, music, stories, and more. Scratch can be used to make music in a variety of ways.
You can get started right away by trying out this step-by-step guide to learn some of the basics for making music in Scratch.
For additional information you can also check out this video:
Some questions to help you get started:
- Can you create a melody through code?
- Can you create a harmony through code?
- Can you create a beat through code?
- Can you create music or sound that . . .
- . . . is based off of a sample code in the Help section of Sonic Pi?
- . . . reminds you of an old video game?
- . . . is scary, funny, exciting, boring, silly, relaxing, or colorful?
- . . . reminds you of a special event, story, or place?
- . . . you would want to share with a friend or family member?
- . . . you would want to rap, sing, or play over?
- . . . you would want to dance to?
Share What You Learned
Write a post or upload a video selfie discussing your experiences with Scratch.
- What did you like about it?
- What challenges did you face?
- How did you create sound with code?