How open am I to musical genres?
Many people have musical prejudices that they are sometimes not even aware of. Releasing our musical prejudices and building an “open music format” mentality can help us be creative, challenge us, promote diversity, and expand the music and people we are able to work with.
- How open am I to musical genres?
- Am I mono-musical?
- What does it take for me to be open to a genre that I’ve rejected in the past?
- On paper or a digital device/computer, list as many genres of music as you can.
- Do this on your own
- List the genres without doing any searching for information
- Keep going for as long as you need until you can’t think of any more genres
- Try to get some other people you know to make their own lists
- Take a look at your list. What do you notice?
- Compare your list with other people’s lists if they made their own versions.
- What do you notice about other people’s lists.
- Try to name at least two songs or examples of music for each genre.
- If you can’t think of any songs, try to name musicians who you think fit in that genre.
- What do you notice about your list (and others’ lists) now?
- Where you able to list music or musicians that fit each genre? Why or why not?
- Are you mono-musical? What do you think that means?
- How aware are you of the many genres of music that exist?
- Now, put the genres on your list into a new order from your favorite to least favorite
- Do this as a new list
- It is easiest to do this from top (favorite) to bottom (least favorite)
- Think about and answer the following questions:
- What do you dislike about your least favorite genre? (be very detailed)
- What do you like about your most favorite genre? (be very detailed)
- Why do you think it could be important to have a diverse set of music you listen to?
- Are there any genres on your list that you don’t listen to because of social issues more than the sound of the music?
- If so, what would it take for you to be willing to listen to that music?
- Why do you think music is labeled or categorized?
- What does this have to do with what you do or do not listen to?
- What do you think this has to do with being a producer?
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- Go back, find out what to submit, and complete the XP
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Answer at least 3 of the questions from this XP (including How open am I to musical genres?)
Return to the XP How can I be open to many different types of music?