Shape Sounds With Code!
Sometimes you might want to change the type of sound you use when creating or performing music.
You can change the characteristics of a sound with code.
How can we shape sounds or music with code? (coding ADSR)
[listen to how sound can be changed – video of ADSR changes]
Now let’s do this by coding and programming music.
Code the sound you want in Sonic Pi
Check out this video on shaping sound by coding ADSR:
1) Open Sonic Pi [if the help section isn’t already open, click on “help”]
2) Try tutorial 2.4 “Duration with Envelopes”
3) Try tutorial 3.4 “Enveloped Samples”
Challenge: Can you make your music sound. . .
- like a drum?
- like a guitar?
- like a bassline?
- like something someone would rap over?
- like something you could dance to?
- like it’s underwater?
- like a robot?
Build your skills and learn more about shaping sound with code!
Share What you Learned
- Post sample code from Sonic Pi
- Explain what you learned about customizing sound or music by using Sonic Pi.