How do I get started making a beat?
There’s no one “right” way to get started making beats. One way you might get started is by listening to a beat you like and trying to make your own version.
- How can I get started making beats?
- How can listening to a beat I like and making my own version give me ideas for making a beat?
Option B: Listening to a beat and making my own version
- Listen to several beats you like and choose one to use as your inspiration.
- Figure out the different parts of the beat as you listen. Try some of these strategies:
- Beatbox or tap/bang on a surface and hum along with the beat – it doesn’t need to be exact.
- Use a web-based digital audio workstation (DAW) like the Splice Sounds BeatMaker or BandLab Drum Machine to create something that sounds like the beat you like.
Don’t worry about how close your version is to the original. This is just a way to get started.
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to explain what it was like to try to make your own version of a beat you like
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Explain what it was like to try to make your own version of a beat you like
Return to the XP How do I get started making a beat? (try another option or go back to the making beats playlist)