How is sampling a part of making beats?
A lot of beats are actually made up of songs by other people. Beat makers can take a recording, use a small part of it (a sample), and then use that sample creatively in the new beat.
- How can an old recording be used in a new beat?
- How does sampling contribute to a beat?
Once you have some samples, there are endless ways you can use them to create something new. Try recreating someone’s sample-based beat to get a sense of how they chose to use the samples they took from a recording.
- Go to free web app samplestitch.com
- Try to recreate the beat by playing the same samples in order with the computer keyboard
- Check out the other beats on the website that use samples
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to describe what it was like to recreate a beat with samples
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Describe what it was like to recreate a beat with samples
Return to the XP How is sampling a part of making a beat? (continue to the next XP in the mini-playlist)
Return to the Getting Started Making Beats Music Learning Playlist