XP 2 How can I control the way something sounds?
There are many approaches you can use to control the way something sounds. One way you can change the character of sound or create a sound is through a technique called synthesis.
- How can we use technology to create or change sounds?
- What characteristics of sound do I like?
- What are some ways I would like to be able to change a sound?
- Explore the free web app scat.io
- To make a sound, type the A,W,S,E,D,F,T,G.Y,H,U,JK,O,L,P keys
- Select different instruments by using the drop down “patch” menu.
- Keep playing the different letter keys on your computer keyboard (shown on the image above) to make sounds
Think about and answer the following questions
- What happens to the sliders when you change the patch?
- What kinds of patches (instruments) do you like best? Why?
- What similarities and differences can you hear with the different patches?
- What words best describe the different patches and their sounds?
Impress your friends. . .
All of the different sliders and drop down menus control parts of the sound – you can call these different parts, parameters.
Moving a slider, changes a parameter of the sound.
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- Go back, find out what to submit, and complete the XP