How will tempo impact a beat that I make?
When making a beat you might want to try listening to what it sounds like at different tempos. It might also be useful to get other people’s perspectives to find out how the tempo impacts people’s reactions to your music.
- What tempo should I use for my beat?
- How will the tempo impact how people react to my beat?
- How will the tempo impact the sound of my beat?
1) Try making a beat with Groove Pizza or Splice BeatMaker or other music apps you want to use. (Don’t worry what it sounds like, we’re just getting started)
2) Explore what it sounds like at different tempos
3) Save two versions of your music:
- Make one version a slower tempo that you think works well
- Make another version with a quicker tempo that you think works well
4) Share your two versions with some other people and ask them for their reactions to each version
- Let them know you are just getting started
- Don’t worry about what people say – this is just to find out about how tempo impacts how they react
- Ask the people who listen to your beats which version they like better and why
5) What did you find out from sharing your beats with other people?
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to discuss how tempo impacts the sound of a beat and how people react to it
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Show someone how you are able to figure out the tempo of music you are listening to
- Discuss how tempo impacts the sound of a beat and how people react to it
Return to the XP How do I choose a tempo when making a beat?