How can I address loss, grief, or hardship with music?
- What role can music play in times of loss or grief?
- How can I express loss or grief through music?
- How can I honor and celebrate my ancestors through music?
- What ways can music help me heal when I experience loss or hardships?
Listen to how some people use music to work through hardships:
In the songs Still Here and Pull Through Red Eagle shows how drawing on your own culture and heritage can be powerful and uplifting in hard times
How can music help us “pull through?”
- Think of someone or something that you are grieving or have grieved. It doesn’t have to be a person. It can be a place, a pet, or something that has changed in your life. You can also think about a loss or hardship if you prefer.
- Write a verse inspired by this.
- Make sure to talk to a trusted mentor if you need to when you are thinking about this.
- Think about the type of music you would want to accompany your verse.
Did you know someone made an app called Cove especially for expressing feelings?
Curious about learning more?
Go Further! (optional) Are you interested in helping others address hardships through music? Did you know that there is an entire career that does this (and many other ways of helping people with music)? If you are interested in this type of work, look into what Music Therapists do.
Return to the Connecting Music and Culture Playlist